energy performance certificates

The pdfEnergy Performance Certificate  (EPC) gives home owners, tenants and buyers information on the energy efficiency of their property.

It gives the building a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and 'G' is the least. Mark Sheehan Building Consultancy can provide EPC's for properties located in South Wales and Gloucestershire

What else does the certificate do?

EPCs are measured using the same calculations for all homes, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

Part of the EPC is a report which will list the potential rating that your home could achieve, if you made the recommended changes. The report lists:

  1. suggested improvements (such as fitting loft insulation)
  2. the approximate cost of making these improvements
  3. possible cost savings over 3 years if the improvements are made
  4. how this would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property

You can use this information to:

  1. cut your fuel bills
  2. improve energy performance in your home
  3. help cut carbon emissions
  4. help you choose a more energy efficient home to rent or buy

You do not have to act on the recommendations contained in the recommendation report. However, if you decide to do so, then it could make your property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.

Does everyone need an EPC?

All sellers of homes must provide an EPC for potential buyers.

  • Builders

An EPC needs to be provided to buyers of newly built properties.

  • Landlords

If you are a landlord, you’ll need to make an EPC available to prospective tenants the first time you let a home after 1 October 2008. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years.

An EPC isn’t required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities.

  • Tenants

If you are interested in renting a property then an EPC must be made available to you free of charge. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years.

If you are a prospective tenant, an EPC isn’t required when you rent a room and share facilities.

  • If you are not in one of the above categories

Even if you do not fall into the above categories, you can still apply for and receive an EPC. This may be because you want to know what the energy efficiency of your home is and implement improvements suggested by the recommendation report.

How do you get an EPC?

Energy Performance Certificates on Existing Dwellings

EPCs can only be produced as a result of a survey by an ‘accredited’ Domestic Energy Assessor. We hold the necessary accreditation for new and existing domestic properties.

Energy Performance Certificates on Existing Dwellings being marketed for sale


Display Energy Certificates for public buildings

Since October 2008, owners of all Commercial Buildings also have to provide an EPC when they buy, sell or let their premises.  

We do not provide these but can arrange for a quote to be sent to you through one of our approved suppliers.

    contact us for full details

  • 01
  • 02
  • 03
  • 04
  • 05
  • 06
  • 07
  • 08


07779 341875
Gloucester & Swansea
01453 731404

Follow us

Business Hours

Mon to Fri:
07:30 to 18:00
Sat & Sun:


Stroud Office
South Wales
Swansea Office